At a time when my provincial government is attempting to dial back progress in the Sex Ed classrooms, reality is proving that this is a horrific idea.
In Ottawa, which is our nation’s capital:
- No More Secrets
- “They Could Have Stopped This”
- Cases of Abuse at Ottawa High School Still Too Common
In Toronto, my provincial capital:
- Events at St. Michael’s College
- Toronto Private School Didn’t Report Incidents of Sexual Assault
- Toronto Police Charge 6 Students
- 2 New Allegations
We have many, many victims–some of whom are adults and have lived with this for 30 years or more, some of whom committed suicide.
We have people who clearly don’t know where to go to get help, when they feel like they might do something non-consensual.
We have administrators, teachers and parents who clearly don’t know it’s not okay to sweep things under the rug.
We need to do something about this. Something needs to change.
Let’s start by talking about it–to everyone and anyone of any age, at all times, in all places. End the secrets.